Christmas Reflections

 Christmas Reflections

Christmas eve 2022, family gathered together at our house.... it's an annual event. Thanksgiving at my sister's house.... Christmas at ours. I love the tradition. The food is always good and there's always too much, but the best part is my family. I've been blessed beyond belief!

This year it was my wife, three sisters, one brother-in-law, niece, great niece, and me. I love being around all of them - I love every one of them... thank you dear GOD for putting me in their family. Please be with those who couldn't make it this year, Amen.

Most of all I'm thankful to my parents who started my life on the journey with Jesus.... actually most of all I'm thankful that GOD came to earth in the bodily form of Jesus.... but I wouldn't have known about that without my parents taking me to church from the beginning.... from age 0.

My journey is nearing 71 years.... ups and downs.... joy and sorrow. The normal journey as a human being trying to become like Jesus. No, I'll never be divine.... but I can be Jesus-like. Putting GOD first and treating others as equals. You see, we're all created in GOD's image...

Genesis 1:27.... So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female. 

Jesus' words remind us of the two greatest commandments.... and this then is my journey in trying to be Jesus-like.... "Which command is the most important of all?" "This is the most important," Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, the Lord is One. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. "The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these." Mark 12:28-31.

The apostle Paul also reminded us to have this Jesus-like attitude.... Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus... Philippians 2:3-5.

Have I always treated others this way? NO. 
Have I always loved my neighbor as myself? NO.
Am I working on it? Yes.... it's a journey.

Becoming as Jesus-like is a journey.... start where you are and treasure each moment. People won't always treat us right, but that's OK because they didn't treat Jesus right either.

James, the brother of Jesus wrote these words to Jesus followers who were being mistreated and abused.... Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. James 1:2-3.

Family is a good place to start.... cherish each one, love them and tell them you love them.... most of all show them your love.

As I think about our Christmas gathering this year the thing that really jumps out at me is how thankful I am. It hit me especially hard as they filed out the door to go home.

The angels praised Him... the shepherds praised Him... the Magi praised Him... Simeon and Anna praised GOD for Him at the temple.... Jesus is worthy of our praise, our worship, and of our dedication to live like He did... talking about Jesus, the apostle John wrote.... The one who says he remains in Him should walk just as He walked. 1st John 2:6.

Being Jesus-like is a journey.... treasure and be blessed in it.

Paul.

Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Used by Permission HCSB ©1999,2000,2002,2003,2009 Holman Bible Publishers. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.

Comments

  1. Great thoughts. Marvelous reminder of pausing and reflecting on the blessings from God. -- Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never be reminded too often or too much to love one another. Even when it ain’t easy, love one another. And, a reminder to be grateful is needed now and then. Even when it seems nothing is going my way, be grateful. Thank you, my friend, for these reminders as we greet a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing and voicing these thoughts and blessings. You are a blessing to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading 2023 Sept.. goodworks4thekingdom Godisgood!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment