A Surprise from My Sister

One of my sisters came by for a social distancing visit a couple of days ago. I think those are visits are important, because relationships are so important.

In addition to getting to see her, she brought me an unexpected, but very welcome gift. She brought me a prayer journal.

I really needed it for several reasons.... first it caused me to be re-focused on trying to help others with their prayer lives. Second, it is helping me get my prayer thoughts organized instead of jotting things down on a piece of paper and then forgetting where I put the piece of paper. The third reason is that prayer journals help us keep up with prayer requests for others. A fourth, and another great thing about keeping a journal is that we can make note of prayer results. Lots of times we pray for someone about something specific, but then we never know what the outcome was. I think it's important to inquire so we can thank GOD for blessing others with good outcomes.

I've talked about prayer lists before. Prayer lists are wonderful tools in our relationship with GOD, but (for me at least) they can easily get out of control. I want to pray for as many people as possible, but when the list keeps on growing that can become a big task. When our list gets too large it could cause us to get to the point that we think we don't have time to pray for that many people so we put it off.

I remember a Bible professor who once told the class that his prayer list had over 600 names on it. His answer was to make it into smaller lists and pray over a few of them several times each day. I think I'm going to try his method and having a specific journal for prayer will help me - it already has by causing me to think about it.

Jesus prayed a lot, I've mentioned some of the Bible verses that indicate that in previous posts. Jesus also prayed for others as several passages indicate. Prayer is important, not because GOD needs us to pray, but because HE wants us to pray. 

Prayer is a relationship... a very important relationship whereby we become closer to our Creator, our Savior, and our Counselor. Plus, prayer lets GOD know that we really care about others.

When an expert on Scripture asked Jesus about what HE thought the greatest commandment was.... One of the scribes approached. When he heard them debating and saw that Jesus answered them well, he asked Him, "Which command is the most important of all?" "This is the most important," Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, the Lord is One. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. "The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these." (Mar 12:28-31 CSB)

Praying for our neighbors is a great way to show that we love them.

We may have to practice social distancing with other people right now, but we need to make sure we're not distancing ourselves from GOD.

Keeping a prayer journal will help us stay on track in our relationship with GOD, and remember that prayer isn't just us talking to GOD. Prayer in conjunction with reading Scripture will allow GOD to speak to us....

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46:10 ASV)

For I know the plans I have for you"-- this is the LORD's declaration-- "plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. (Jer 29:11-13 CSB) 

Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me. The victor: I will give him the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also won the victory and sat down with My Father on His throne. "Anyone who has an ear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches." (Rev 3:20-22 CSB)

Try a prayer journal on your journey with GOD. 

Thanks again sis!!

May GOD bless you and keep you all.

Paul.

Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Used by Permission HCSB ©1999,2000,2002,2003,2009 Holman Bible Publishers. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.

Comments